THE 1828 MAP
This is a copy of the first Ordnance Survey map of our area. Some of the things it tells us are:-
(1) The large white spaces indicate fields, showing how remote we still were then from the newly spreading town of Cheltenham.
(2) "Ashters Way": In 1828 there was just one building here, a farmhouse. The spelling of the name suggests that originally the name Hesters Way was something to do with ash trees. Nearby, the long straight roads with right-angled bends are now Village Road and Hesters Way Road. So you can see that this rectilinear road pattern dates back before the 1950s. Even more it dates back before the 1834 Inclosure Act, which changed many of the farm boundaries.
(3) No railway lines: these arrived in 1835-40. The words "Rail Way" printed beside Gloucester Road indicate a horse-drawn-tram line. This had been built in 1809 and was used for transporting stone and coal between Cheltenham and Gloucester.
(4) "Arle" was then the name of the large manorial estate which included Ashters Way, Fidlers Green (where three houses are shown) and Grovefield. ("Grovefield" is now Cheltenham Film Studios). Arle Court, Arle House and Arle Mill are all marked and named.
(5) Other local names appear, often with unusual quaint spellings. Benhall is "Benalls Wood & Farm", Maud's Elm is "Mauls Elm". Also note "Moor Farm" where The Moors Estate is today. "Bedlam" was the name of a farm, now called The Homestead on Hayden Road.
The "Cross Hands Inn" is shown on Tewkesbury Road, also "The Pheasant" on Gloucester Road, and the "House in the Elm" (now The House in the Tree) at Hayden.